8-ounce package Neufchatel cheese
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup sugar or 1/2 cup Splenda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites or 1/2 cup egg beaters
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 cups white cake flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the cheese, butter, oil and sugar. Add vanilla, salt and egg whites, and beat well.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the whole-wheat and white cake flour. Slowly add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture until dough is stiff.
4. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate at least two hours (or overnight if you have time).
5. Roll on floured surface and cut into desired shapes. Place on nonstick cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 8-12 minutes. Cool. Frost and decorate as desired.
Makes: 3 dozen cookies
Nutrition Content (per cookie)
115 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 17 g carbohydrates, 6 g sugars, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein, 44 mg sodium