For pear month this December, try out this healthy pear recipe!
- 1 can(s) (14-ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) quinoa, rinsed if necessary
- 2 tablespoon(s) walnut oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) fruity vinegar, such as pear, raspberry, or pomegranate
- 1/4 cup(s) snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 2 ripe but firm pears, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in quinoa, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa has popped, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, chives, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add pears and toss to coat.
- Drain any excess liquid from the cooked quinoa, if necessary. Add the quinoa to the pear mixture; toss to combine. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool for about 15 minutes or serve warm. Serve topped with nuts.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 2 fat Carbohydrate Servings: 2 Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (20% daily value), Folate (18% dv).